16th FEG Annual General Meeting and European Tourist Guide Meeting
Tuesday 18 November – Sunday 23 November 2014 in Berlin, Germany
This special experience has been made thanks to the BVGD of Berlin and Visitberlin.de which have organized a European annual meeting with the title “The Art of Guiding in a city of diversity and contrasts“.
Here the programme of the guided visits ih the fashinating city of Berlin and of the outskirts:
- Tour of Berlin with a visit to a museum (Museums Island, UNESCOWorld Cultural Heritage Site): on this tour we have learnt about the history of Berlin and discover the most interesting places of the German capital: from the western city, the Kurfürstendamm with its landmark, the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche, the department store KadeWe, impressing embassies, multicultural districts to the historic Berlin with the boulevard Unter den Linden, the Berlin cathedral to the most beautiful square of Berlin, the Gendarmenmarkt. We have seen the TV tower, the town hall and of course remnants of the wall, which divided Berlin until 1989. They have shown us the Museums Island (UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site) and especially the Pergamonmuseum, well known for the reconstruction of antique architecture in original size (now under refurbishment)
- Guided tour in the German quarter of parliament and government: visit of the dome and terrace has been scheduled for us. We have been shown the Brandenburg gate, the symbol of the reunification. The Pariser Platz has been completely rebuilt in the 1990s. Next to it is the seat of the German Parliament, the Reichstag building, renovated by the British architect Norman Foster and the seat of the German chancellor. After a visit of the dome and the terrace with a great view of Berlin we have had leisure time at the Potsdam square, the most spectacular reconstruction of the “new Berlin” with shopping mall and restaurants.
- Full day trip to Potsdam, the city of palaces and gardens: the landmark of Potsdam is the park Sanssouci with the
vineyard terraces. We have visited the New Palace, the largest and most impressive palace, built by Frederick the Great, with the marble hall and the grotto hall. The old city of Potsdam is being reconstructed, especially the old city
palace, now the seat of the parliament of the federal state of Brandenburg. After leisure time in the Dutch Quarter, the
only dutch settlement beyond the Netherlands, we have visited the latest palace of the Hohenzollern, Palace Cecilienhof. It is the famous venue of the Potsdam Conference, where Stalin, Churchill/Atlee and Truman met in summer 1945. Here, at the palace Cecilienhof, the Potsdam guides have offered us coffee and cake. The Glienicker Bridge, where American and Soviet spies were exchanged, had been the last spot for our visit in Potsdam. Nowadays it is a normal bridge with a wonderful view of the river Havel.
- Cruise on the River Spree, then leisure time: a tour from another point of view: the historic city and the newly reconstructed buildings where the wall stood until 1990: the quarter of Nikolai, the TV-Tower, the square of the palace, the cathedral, the Old National Gallery, the Bode Museum, the “palace of tears”, the train station Friedrichstraße, the studio of the first German TV-Programm, the Parliament buildings, Berlin main station, the embassy of Switzerland and the house of the cultures of the world.
- Walking tour “25 years since the fall of the wall” from Checkpoint Charlie to the Panorama Point at Potsdam Square with a great view of Berlin. Checkpoint Charlie, the only point in the world, where American and Soviet tanks stood face-to-face, has been since the symbol of the cold war. We have started here with our walking tour, follow the running of the
former wall and end at the Potsdam square, where in the 90s a completely new area was created by international investors. Here Europe’s fastest lift has brought us to the top of a sky scraper with a great view of the Sony Center, the Beisheim Center and the Tiergarten, one of the large parks of Berlin.
A wonderful experience in an amazing City!